Monday the preschool director asked me if Robert ever gets spots on his tummy. I told her he did from time to time and it’s generally nothing. The next day his teacher called to say he had spots all over his trunk and back (there were like 10 altogether and three of those were bug bites). They were going to have the nurse look at him. She said it was a judgment call but a child did have impetigo the week before (not in his room). So… do you take him to the doctor and have him look at you like “why are you here” or do you do nothing and have it wind up being a serious virus with deadly potential. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. So I took him to the doctor… and got the “why are you here” look… and got a note and headed back to preschool/work.
This morning when I dropped him off I should have known something was wrong. He did NOT want me to leave and wasn’t interested in his breakfast bar. Generally I sit him at the table, unwrap the breakfast bar and he could care less if aliens came and snatched me in front of his eyes… he’s got a breakfast bar! At 9:30 they called me… Robert has diarrhea and has thrown up… he has to go home. So I fetched him. He didn’t have fever but he was a bit lethargic. Got him home, started him on pedialyte… draped the couch with a blanket and called Jim… got voice mail. Changed his diapers three times in a thirty minute period and settled in on the couch with him. He threw up… all over me. Changed him, changed me, changed the blanket on the couch. Settled in again. Thirty minutes later… changed him, changed me, changed the blanket on the couch (he never threw up if he wasn’t sitting on me). The third time this happened I texted Jim… since he still hadn’t returned my call… “Running out of blankets for the couch, diapers for the boys and clothes for me… morale is low… call home”. He finally touched base about 11:30 and said he’d be home as soon as he could.
Robert took a nice nap…. a break we both needed. Jim got home about 3:30 and I started doing laundry. Then the fever started. It was running about 101.8 but of course didn’t start until after 5. Debated going to Children’s urgent care because of the diarrhea and the vomiting but decided to wait and see. I’m crossing my fingers that this is the 12 hour flu that’s been going around and tomorrow I have my happy, healthy little guy back… if not, we’ll go to the doctor. I’m also hoping that neither Jim nor I get this since he’s leaving town Sunday to teach a class.
The weather was gorgeous here today… albeit a bit windy and is supposed to be really nice tomorrow before it gets crummy again. I was hoping we could go out and enjoy it. Maybe we still can. Robert and I were also going to take Aunt Barb to Wonderscope on Sunday. We’ll probably just go visit her at her house now as to not pick up any more germs while we’re recovering (or leave any lingering ones there for another kid to pick up)